It’s been quite sometime since we’ve had a week this stacked with new releases. This is actually the first big week of 2019 thus far for the hip hop scene. If it isn’t obvious yet, I’ve been waiting on a huge week for quite a while and here it finally is. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the new fire that dropped this week.
- Lil Pump – Harverd Dropout
- If you’ve been following the Soundcloud rap scene for a minute, you may remember the memes about Lil Pump dropping out of Harvard University to be a rapper. The memes have taken full effect now that Lil Pump’s latest album that bares the title finally being released. The project was originally supposed to be dropped between mid to late 2018, but was pushed back quite far. Regardless, it’s here now for your listening pleasure. Laced with 16 tracks and features from the likes of Kanye West, Lil Uzi Vert, Smokepurpp and more, this one is sure to keep you listening for quite a while.
- Offset – Father of 4
- This album has been a long time coming since Migos announced that all three members would be releasing their own solo project. We received both Quavo and Takeoff’s albums back in 2018 but were left without Offset’s release once it got pushed back due to personal issues. But have no fear, the project is here now. Offset promised that this project would contain more diverse subject matter compared to his usual endless spill about Patek watches. I personally think he delivered on that promise but check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.
- Gunna – Drip or Drown 2
- 2018 was an absolutely huge year for Gunna in which we saw him become a household name among hip hop fans. He was everywhere, featuring on numerous albums and releasing two projects in February’s fantastic Drip Season 3 and October’s Drip Harder collab album with Lil Baby. The hype for this project was pretty high and the pre-release singles were quality, but did it live up to expectations? Give it a spin and see.
- Night Lovell – Goodnight Lovell
- Out of all of today’s releases, this one was probably the one that fans waited the longest for. It was recorded over the course of the last two years. If you’re unfamiliar with Night Lovell, he’s a Canadian artist who is known for his dark production and menacingly deep voice. He can flow for sure, so I’d recommend checking out this new project as well as his previous two that are available on streaming platforms.
- Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – “Flat Tummy Tea”
- If for some reason you’ve never heard Freddie Gibbs and Madlib’s collab album Pinata, listen to it right away. That project will give you a good feel for what to expect on this track. On this cut, we hear Gangsta Gibbs go in over some stellar Madlib production that included a killer beat switch in the middle. Their next joint project, tentatively titled Bandana, is set to drop in 2019.
- Hoodrich Pablo Juan – “Screaming Slatt” (feat. Young Thug)
- I can’t believe that it’s already February and we hadn’t heard much new Young Thug until now. On this track we hear Hoodrich Pablo Juan and Thugger go back and forth over some great production. This one is pure hype and if you like Thugger or any trap artist in general, you’ll like these vibes.
- Tierra Whack – “Only Child”
- While this isn’t your typical hard hitting banger, it is still a great track in its own right. We hear Tierra spit some playful bars and lay down some beautiful melodies over a bouncy beat, and I’m here for it. If you like what you hear on this one, check out her latest project Whack World on streaming platforms.
More new music
This isn’t a full list of everything that dropped today because there was simply so much. If you want to check out more new music, hit this link. Let me know what tracks you’re feeling in the comments and on my Instagram @youngthuggamanekyle.