From “The Christmas Shoes” to “Dominic, The Italian Christmas Donkey”, many of us have the misfortune of hearing cloying Christmas music on the clock at work or while out and about Thanksgiving onward. To spread a little holiday cheer, and maybe save some of you from the ledge you might throw yourself off of if you hear “I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas” one more time, I’ve compiled a playlist of Christmas alternatives.
From Joan Jett to Julian Casablancas, you likely won’t hear these songs piped through any shopping centers anytime soon (the Lana Del Rey cover of “Santa Baby”, for instance, was ripped from an Instagram video and has never been officially released). Nevertheless, many of these tracks have become seasonal essentials in my household, and I’d like to pass some of my favorites along. Enjoy, and happy holidays!
- Thanks For Christmas // XTC (as The Three Wise Men)
- Christmas Wrapping // The Waitresses
- Little Drummer Boy // Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
- Christmas Bop // T. Rex
- Thank God It’s Christmas // Queen
- December Will Be Magic Again // Kate Bush
- 2000 Miles // The Pretenders
- Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want To Fight Tonight) // Joey Ramone
- Santa Baby // Lana Del Rey
- White Christmas // Iggy Pop
- Frosty The Snowman // Cocteau Twins
- Santa’s Beard // They Might Be Giants
- Christmas Treat (I Wish It Was Christmas Today) // Julian Casablancas
- Father Christmas // The Kinks